Best and Secure eCommerce Platform: Security Checklist for Any Platform
Running an eCommerce website yourself is a tough business in itself, as you have to prove your best to the clients. However, they can also be attractive cyber-crime hotspots, due to a large number of transactions taking place night and day. Apart from this, internet banking also requires the client to use their credit card details and other personal information, which makes the process even riskier. Therefore, to protect your potential clients from danger, ensure that you have put all the security systems in place. The given security checklist will handle most vulnerabilities and safeguard your website to function better.
- eCommerce software protection
Ensure that your eCommerce is well-secured and updated for the best performance. Some of the options include –
- Magneto Security Patches – Magneto protects your data using a security patch method to handle urgent updates. These patches can only be installed by your developer unless you are able to log in through a terminal to install them on your own.
- WordPress Automatic Updates – Install the automated update features if you work with WordPress along with WooCommerce. These updates are released quite often and can take care of most security threats.
- WordPress Plug-in Updates – Update every single WordPress plug-in from time to time, even with a fully secured WordPress installation. Moreover, keep updating your eCommerce platforms such as WooCommerce or WP eCommerce, has a single out-of-date plug-in can be dangerous to your website.
- WordPress Theme Updates – Regularly update your theme files, as well as the tools and widgets that come with it, could be at risk as well. However, updating a theme can be detrimental if the developer has made changes to the core pages. One of the ways to prevent this is to use a Child Theme so that you can use Master’s Theme while keeping your website intact.
- SSL certification
SSL certifications ensure complete security to your websites, especially if it is self-hosted, on your own server, or you require your client’s card details or using a server your developer installed for you. Check your site security by looking at the URL browser – “http://” refers to an unprotected website, while “https://” comes with an extra layer of security to protect your information. Check your general SSL health by a server scan and producing a report. Look for different kinds of vulnerabilities such as Heartbleed Bug Vulnerability and Poodle Vulnerability.
- PCI Compliance
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) consists of a set of standards set by credit card and debit card manufacturers to an organization who process card payments. You would have to guarantee protection for your client’s card details and for confidential client data handling.
- Admin panel security
Never keep “admin” as your username, as the hacker can guess the same within seconds. If your username is strong, they will have a harder time guessing your password. WordPress and Magneto sites use “/wp-admin” and “/admin” as a default admin panel link respectively. Use a complex admin panel link to scare your hackers away.
- Secure transactions
Clients trust you with their credit card information, which is why you should never store such data. Storing such information might lead on to enormous fines, liabilities, and other consequences. You can also take your payments through reliable options like PayPal express or similar off-site processors which are much safer than entering your credit card details on a website.
As they say, prevention is better than cure. Spend some time and money in installing your security software and patches, so that you don’t have to retrieve a damaged website as a consequence. Contact your developer right now, to secure your ecommerce website.
Author Bio: James Warner – Experienced and Senior Magento developer at NexSoftSys. He has an expert in Magento e-commerce development, customization and bright technology knowledge to develop IT business system which includes user-friendly access and advanced features.